There are five variables that most impact the effectiveness of BIOSTRAINZ™:
1. Concentration. There is a wide range of effective concentrations or “doses” of BIOSTRAINZ for certain applications; however the optimum range is generally between 0.5 and 10 milligrams per liter of volume—that is, milligrams of BIOSTRAINZ per liter of wastewater or substrate. This is roughly equivalent to parts per million.
2. Contact time. To maximize the BIOSTRAINZ treatment program, BIOSTRAINZ should be kept in contact with the target substrate to the greatest extent possible. This means that when applying BIOSTRAINZ to a large volume of wastewater, such as a large lagoon, tank or vessel, it is important to maximize the distribution of BIOSTRAINZ throughout that medium. Additionally, the frequency of BIOSTRAINZ dosing should match or exceed residence time within the wastewater system. For example, if a septic tank has a residence time of 14 days, then BIOSTRAINZ should be applied at least every 14 days. If a grease trap fills and empties completely every day, then daily dosing or continuous treatment with BIOSTRAINZ would be advised.
3. Temperature. BIOSTRAINZ can operate effectively in a wide range of temperatures. However, the catabolic breakdown of organic waste molecules into inert compounds slows significantly as the temperature of the substrate approaches the freezing point (32°F/0°C). There is a similar loss of effectiveness at temperatures above approximately 140°F (60°C). The ideal operating temperature is between 50°F and 120°F (10°C to 49°C). This broad operating range makes BIOSTRAINZ a suitable treatment for effluent lagoons, sludge drying beds and effluent storage basins in most climates during most times of the year.
4. pH. BIOSTRAINZ operates within a broad pH range, from 2.5 and 9.5, but the optimum pH is between 3.5 and 8.5.
5. Oxygen levels. When using BIOSTRAINZ in an aerobic process, the performance of BIOSTRAINZ can be vastly improved by higher levels of dissolved oxygen. Optimum levels in aerobic processes are DO>1.5mg/L. BIOSTRAINZ is still very effective in anaerobic processes.